El Sol También Se Levanta

I spent the months of June, July, August, September, and part of October touring and studying in Spain. My goal was to become fluent in Spanish, I was reasonable successful but need to keep up the practice. Regarding the title, before arriving I read much Hemingway and hoped to experience similar capricious escapades that he so fondly recounts in his novels. I think I was successful.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

hiking in the mountains









Here´s a group of people I went to the Sierra Nevada´s with last week. It was actually a ski resort in the winter months so unfortunately the ski lifts made it seem a little less rugged. Nonetheless, it was great to get some fresh mountain air.

Near this photo we have a bit of the wildlife that lives in the mountains here in Spain. This is an Ibex. This xenophobic race is much like Sand People that inhabit deserts on my home planet of Tatooine. The ibex are territorial by nature and fearful of strangers. This photo was taken only moments before he engaged his projectile rifle and fired a few warning shots in our vicinity as we buzzed by on our landspeeder. Upset that he missed he let out a few cries of frustration and shook his rifle in the air furiously. Thankfully R2 was able to navigate us back to the hostel without further altercations.

Alright, well this page is all screwed up. I can´t see any of the photos I´m attaching and I don´t know where they´re going on the page so I don´t know what this post will look like. Somewhere on this page is a stature of Mary and her kid. This is probably one of the coolest statues I´ve ever seen. This was on the ski mountain.



The next picture on here is of me and mi amiga Daria de Alimania. For those of you don´t habla español that´s spanish for Daria of Germany. Who knows whether this photo attached or not, I don´t see it anywhere on
the page here. Anyway we went to Cordoba for the day and viewed many cool things like this staircase. As it turns out this staircase looked a lot more grandiose on the tourist map than in reality. I think the city was feeling a little short on attractions so they just started projecting random locations into 3d on the tourist map and giv them majestic names like "La escalara de dios" We saw many other mapped attractions as well thanks to Daria who had created a checklist of stops to make. My job was to navigate ourselves around the city; though really my job was to keep a confident look on my face and say ´yes´when she asked if I knew where we were going.
Mike, I´ll do my best to find some photos of some pechagonas, but typically they don´t allow me to bring my camera into the room; I don´t know, house rules I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home