El Sol También Se Levanta

I spent the months of June, July, August, September, and part of October touring and studying in Spain. My goal was to become fluent in Spanish, I was reasonable successful but need to keep up the practice. Regarding the title, before arriving I read much Hemingway and hoped to experience similar capricious escapades that he so fondly recounts in his novels. I think I was successful.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Graffiti and an Update from the Amistad

Above is just one example of the multidude of the incredible graffiti found in this city. There seems to be some respect on the street for it because nobody has tried to tag over these artworks. On the same wall was the following painting of Dalí

Unrelated, and merely because it just popped into my head, I´ve got updated information on St. Nick. There´s a guy from Holland in my conversation class. Good guy. Anyway in class we seemed to get onto the topic of national holidays and the story of St. Nick came up again. I asked him about whether his "helpers" really were all black and he said yes, that was the story, HOWEVER, in the last couple years the government has acknowledged that it´s not quite the most PC story and, as officially as they can with a children's myth, said that helpers of any race, color, or creed are now eligible for employment at St. Nick´s. All very amusing.
This weekend I´m going to the city of Ronda where, if you have read "For whom the Bell Tolls" is the town where a number of people were masacred and thrown into the chasm that divides the city. On a lighter note, after that we´re going to Malaga for their annual Feria.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home