El Sol También Se Levanta

I spent the months of June, July, August, September, and part of October touring and studying in Spain. My goal was to become fluent in Spanish, I was reasonable successful but need to keep up the practice. Regarding the title, before arriving I read much Hemingway and hoped to experience similar capricious escapades that he so fondly recounts in his novels. I think I was successful.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Where's the Beef?

Hey, if you´re really fat and you want to lose some weight you should come to Spain, they have no food here. For people like me it´s not so good, I think I´m nearly eligible for UNICEF proceeds. Actually I was thinking about UNICEF last night as I was walking around trying to find a single restaurant in this city where I could get a meal of some sustenance, and recalled that the back of the box would say something like "for just 5 cents you can feed a family for a week" and "for 25 cents you can buy the family a cow or a goat so they can supply themselves with milk for the rest of their lives." It should say, that if you´re going donate all of 25 cents then you really need to donate 50 because that first cow is going to be torn apart and eaten raw by the family that receives it. Maybe after that, if the neighbors don´t discover the newly acquired food source, you can consider milking the cow and maybe breeding the cow.

Finding food in Spain is nearly impossible. Sometimes I think, "boy, I´d really like a nice sandwhich that might hold me over til dinner" So I go to the meat shop and receive one slice of ham between two pieces of french bread. This is obviously not enough to hold me over so then I have to spend much dinero for a meal at a sit down restaurant where for 9€ I get three pieces of asparagus, a slice of ham, and a small wedge of potato pie. It all tastes very good, the ham and asparagus are some of the best I´ve ever had, but it´s hard to enjoy when immediately after finishing I´m looking for grubs and berries that might be edible. I tried eating some of the olives off the trees here. I don´t recommend that. I forgot my card for transferring photos onto the internet, so sorry. See ya. Will

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home