El Sol También Se Levanta

I spent the months of June, July, August, September, and part of October touring and studying in Spain. My goal was to become fluent in Spanish, I was reasonable successful but need to keep up the practice. Regarding the title, before arriving I read much Hemingway and hoped to experience similar capricious escapades that he so fondly recounts in his novels. I think I was successful.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

In Sevilla and off to Aracena also a recount of Ronda



I am in Sevilla now and have been here for a little over a week now. My original plan was to go to Salamanca for 6 weeks, but for various reasons that didn´t work out. So here i am and it´s fun; I´m glad it worked out this way. However, I should backtrack a bit and give an account of my time in Ronda (the trip I took a couple of weeks ago).
Here you can see the bridge that divides the old part of Ronda from the new part.

The night we spent in Ronda we decided to hit up the bar scene as you can see below. You may notice that the tap looks awful close to the customers, as if maybe we could pull our own beers. In fact, it was that close, and we did. Actually every table had their own tap with a meter on top that displayed the number of liters drunk and how much we had spent. In the background you can see a scoreboard. The green bars mark how well each table is faring relative to the others. Yes, the concept is mindblowing. Could you imagine opening one of these bars on a college campus in the states!?! If it weren´t for the numerous deaths and lawsuits that would ensue you would probably be a millionaire in a week. Naturally Cody and I, decided to compete with every other table in the bar, including a table of 10 that just sat down next to us. We held on pretty well until that table went for the second round. We ended up leaving the bar in a strong second place and barely able to see straight.

The next day we headed to Malaga to see part of the Feria that was going on there which can be seen to the left.

That´s pretty much it for that trip.


Sevilla´s been fun. Here´s a picture of my roommate Yuan from Sweden making our nightly coffee brew that gets us going before we hit the bars and clubs. This fine concoction is made by buying the cheapest coffee in the supermarket, putting it in a filter, and pouring boiled water through it into a cup. Repeat the process until you have enough coffee for all those in your group. Dirk, from Germany, is another cool roommate of mine who apparently was not taught compound words when he learned English, so he sounds like a robot.

Last weekend I went to Aracena for a couple days which is a small mountain town an hour north of Sevilla. There was some cool stuff there. I went to the Ham museum. Ham´s really big here. I´ve eaten more Ham here than any other meat. They have ground pork here, not ground beef. The area of Aracena and particularly Jabodu (Jabogu, Jabudo?) believe they produce the best ham in the World. and it might be true. The ham was really good. But I´m not experienced in tasting ham, and as I mentioned earlier, I´m just happy when i get some food. I also saw some caves there and a castle. The area of Aracena would be a good place to spend a few days driving between all the different towns. You can learn a lot about ham and pigs and castles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home